Pages

Sunday 27 November 2011

Week 7 Directed Study


Refraction & Distortion
For this week’s directed study I chose a simple glass, drawn in different mediums  (charcoal, pastels and graphic markers).  Each drawing is from a different angle so that you get a variation on the reflections and highlights on the glass.
Drawing (A) was done in charcoal, white pastels were used for highlights and as you can see the upper half of the glass shows through and has the same tonal variation as the wall. White areas indicate reflected areas, and on the bottom half you can see the distorted image created by the glass. Drawing A (charcoal) was the most effective, mainly because I was more familiar with the medium and it was easier for me to capture the highlights and have a high contrast with the shading values for the reflections.
(A) 

Drawing (B) was done using graphic markers, I feel that I have much more to learn on how to use them as I find them hard to manipulate. Mistakes are hard to cover, and I have issues with blending same tonal variations, as you can distinguish all the lines drawn from the same marker and the mistakes from using the wrong marker to do the reflection on the surface. What I like though is the contrast in this image. 
(B) 

Drawing (C) was done using pastels, (except for the black background used to cover the wall that is done with charcoal), brown, yellow, and green were used to simulate the surface, and for the glass I used  a hint of light blue, black and white. After looking it for many hours  I feel that the perspective is wrong or inaccurately presented, half of the times it reminds me of an orb rather than a glass. I think I have failed with this one and truth be told I don’t have much experience with coloured drawings, so I’ll do my best to explore that area in the future.  
(C) 

No comments:

Post a Comment