Pages

Sunday 27 November 2011

Week 5 directed Study


Sky Shapes
1 Sunset
 This soft pastel drawing took me roughly about 25 minutes to comlpete. The main focus here is to give the impression of a sunset. Colour used were yellow, orange, red, and purple smudged together in layers, black was only mainly used on the horizon line..

The way I approached this drawing was by drawing a low horizon line, giving more space to show the sky. Due to time constraints I had to draw quickly, so instead of realism I chose impressionism. By observing the different layers of light on the clouds I started smudging different layers of colour resulting into this image. Then used orange with yellow to create shadows that would look like clouds for the first layer, then some orange mixed with pink and a hint of light brown to create darker shadows for the second layer. Finally pink orange, brown and black were used for the third and fourth layers, that way I created an impression of a sunset. 

2 Night Sky
Night sky was drawn with charcoal (except from the white bits that were done with a white pastel) and took me about 25 minutes to complete. In terms of its composition I used the rule of thirds to place the moon on the top right of the drawing, providing a focal point. This allows the viewer to witness the clouds around the moon, or after navigating to the right move their eyes to the house on the bottom right of the image.
Another area I focused on was the landscape, by smudging the charcoal I aimed to give the impression of depth. As I focused more on the foreground I created darker tones, with the small exception of highlights (white pastel) used to replicate the light of the moon bouncing off the rooftops.



No comments:

Post a Comment